Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Jail Cell

10/4/11

Greece is already so much better than Turkey!  Don't get me wrong I loved Turkey but Greece is amazing. We started this morning with a buffet breakfast.  But this breakfast was so much better!  Butter croissants, chocolate filled croissants, greek yogurt and so much more!  After breakfast we headed about 15 km away from Kavala to Philippi.  Our first stop in the ancient city was the amphitheater.






Then we walked down to the jail where it's said that Paul was imprisoned (Acts 16: 23-40).  The entire book of Philippians was also written to the people of Philippi.  My favorite verse we read while we were there, and suggest you read, is Philippians 4:2-9, 13.  We then finished by singing "I Know That My Redeemer Lives" at the beginning of this trip the amount of singing we did frustrated me but now i find it very peaceful and a way to feel the spirit while we are on sites.



After we left Philippi we drove a very short distance to the basilica of St. Lydia.  The mosaics in the basilica were covered in gold and very beautiful with great acoustics.  This basilica is where it's said Lydia, the first women convert in Europe, was baptized.









We left the church we headed back to Kavala for some free time and lunch.  I was on a hunt for once we stopped for lunch for another gyro because of how delicious they were yesterday.  Lucky for me i found half my tour group standing outside a gyro shop.  mhmm!  They were delicious and beyond filling!  As we walked back towards the bus meeting area we spotted our teachers eating these huge crepes.  A few people i was with decided to buy one so i tasted them and oh my were they good.  Christina and I decided to split one even though we were beyond full.  We filled ours with chocolate, vanilla and bananas topped with caramel syrup.  Yumm!  Now i was on the verge of throwing up so we headed back to the bus.  As we waited for the bus we saw a shop selling leather shoes.  I found this adorable pair and had to get them.  Then back to the bus as we head to Tessalonica.  




2 comments:

  1. I was hoping to see a picture of the shoes!!! And of course all I want to eat is one of those gyros!!! YUMMMMYYYYY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you'll just have to wait till I'm back to see those ;)

    ReplyDelete