Sunday, October 9, 2011

The One, The Only, Parthenon


10/9/11

Frist off I would like to dedicate this lovely blog to the amazing man who made this all possible and wish him a happy birthday!  I love you Mike!

Today has been one of my favorites.  I could not have asked for a better day in Athens Greece than the one I experienced today.  The morning started off with a spirit filled sacrament meeting within the hotel.  Following the meeting we headed out on the town.  We started off at the world famous, and for good reason, Acropolis.  The minute I laid eyes on the Parthenon my jaw just dropped and I was in awe of this amazing temple the Greeks built.  As we walked through the Propylaea (entrance gate) we really caught site of this amazing building.  After getting a long talk about the history of the Parthenon, Yolanda finally let us loose to explore The Acropolis.  All I could do was stare at its beauty. 








I then headed towards The Erechtheion where it is said that Athena and Poseidon battled for control over the city.  Athena in the end won and the ancient Olive Tree is significant of this because it was her gift the people of the city.  It is said that you can see both Athena and Poseidon’s foot prints embedded into the marble floor within the Erechtheion. 





After countless photos of the Acropolis we headed just past the walls to see and walk on Mars Hill where Paul preached to the people of Athens.  This is found within Acts 17.  We were very rushed on Mars Hill because our bus was being parked illegally and we had to move quickly. 




Next stop the Olympic Stadium.  The Olympics, as you may have known, was head in Athens in 2004 and we were able to view the track stadium their which was modeled after ancient buildings.





Then to our last museum, The Archaeological Museum of Athens, I really enjoyed this museum more than I thought I would.  Maybe it is my fascination with Greek Mythology.  There were statues and coins all related to the Greek Gods. 





We then headed back to the hotel and once again grabbed a gyro.  I then took a 2-hour power nap before we were headed off on the town once again.  We walked down to some square and then had an early dinner.  I split crepes with Sharsten.  We had a pineapple, ham, and cheese crepe as well as a banana, strawberry, crunch, with chocolate and vanilla on top.  They were both so delicious. 





To top of the day and the trip we ended with a Testimony meeting.  I am so thankful for everyone on this trip as I have learned so much from them.  This has been such an eye opening experience and I will forever be grateful for this opportunity, as I have grown spiritually in ways I can even being to explain.  Tomorrow is our last day in Europe.  Sad day!

No comments:

Post a Comment